Every fall that I start craving more hearty foods when the weather gets colder and the days get shorter. Potato side dishes are an excellent way to make a grilled chicken or salmon feel more like a substantial fall dinner. My Crushed Potatoes with Herbs and Tomatoes is the perfect blend of the tastes of the fading summer and the fast approaching winter.
I like to use fresh herbs together with freshly squeezed lemon juice in my cooking as they give so much flavor to the dish that you don’t really need to add any other spices.
I always get the vine-ripened tomatoes as they have so much more flavor. Still the vine-ripened tomatoes available here in the UK don’t compare to tomatoes in Italy. I have not tasted as sweet and tasty tomatoes anywhere else than in Italy. I could live only on those! Thinking of the Italian tomatoes makes me want to reserve a holiday to the breathtaking Amalfi Coast immediately. And I mean NOW! While I dream a little dream of Italy try this simple and easy side dish with grilled salmon. Delizioso!
Crushed Potatoes with Herbs and Tomatoes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
500g Miniature New Potatoes
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 String of Fresh Rosemary
4 Salad or Spring Onions
Large Handful of Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley
Small Handful of Fresh Coriander
200g Vine-Ripened Piccolini Cherry Tomatoes
Water for boiling the potatoes
Chop the salad onions, rosemary, parsley and coriander.
In a large saucepan heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add the potatoes and the cherry tomatoes and cook them until the tomatoes have softened a little bit.
- 500g Miniature New Potatoes
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 String of Fresh Rosemary
- 4 Salad or Spring Onions
- Large Handful of Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley
- Small Handful of Fresh Coriander
- 200g Vine-Ripened Piccolini Cherry Tomatoes
- Water for boiling the potatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop the salad onions, rosemary, parsley and coriander.
- Set aside.
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat up the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and the cherry tomatoes and cook them until the tomatoes have softened a little bit.
- Then gently crush the potatoes together with the tomatoes slightly with a potato masher.
- Add the chopped onion and fresh herbs into the crushed potatoes. Mix.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the mix.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste if required. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.