British make-up artist Pat McGrath has been called the most influential make-up artist in the world by Vogue and I have become a huge fan following her #BeautyBlast tweets where she shares her tricks of the trade and upcoming trends nearly every day. She’s the Creative Design Director for Procter & Gamble Beauty (which includes brands like Dolce&Gabbana make-up and Max Factor) and the undisputed make-up queen of all the fashion weeks, for the SS14 shows she created looks for Valentino, Versace, Givenchy (did you see her bejeweled faces at Givenchy shows? Works of art!) and Dior, just to name a few. Pat is also responsible for the fabulous, gorgeous, stunning Dolce&Gabbana beauty campaigns starring Scarlett Johansson.
Here are some everyday make-up tips from Pat I have gathered from her #BeautyBlast tweets and from magazine interviews. Just little inexpensive and easy ideas we can all add to our beauty routines.
1. Take selfies for your Instagram? Use matte-foundation. Shiny skin and high definition cameras do not mix.
2. Create your own lip stains by mixing your favourite lipsticks with a little bit of lip balm.
3. If you use false eye lashes, always pile on mascara on your own lashes first, then add the falsies. You get a more even
coverage of lashes.
4. If you want a more natural looking eye lashes but still want the va-va-voom, use black mascara on the base of lashes and
use brown mascara on the tips.
5. Never use black for your brows. Brown shades are more natural.
6. Tired red eyes? Apply light beige eye pencil to the inside lower lash line, will make your eyes look wider and less red.
7. Use cream blushes for a more natural glow. Cream pigments melt into the skin easier.
8. For a bold lip colour first exfoliate your lips and moisturise with lip balm. Once this has settled, take a lip pencil and line
your lips, then fill in the lips with the pencil. Then apply your lipstick.
Sign up to follow Pat McGrath on twitter to receive her #BeautyBlast tweets.She also tweets some fabulous backstage shots and info on projects she’s working on. Pat also hosts Dolce & Gabbana video tutorials, showing us the products she used and the techniques she applied to achieve that sultry and feminine Dolce & Gabbana look. Below Pat creates the Dolce & Gabbana Autumn/Winter’13 look.
Sources: Elle, Elle Canada, Vogue, Fashionista, Cover Girl, Pat McGrath Twitter, Dolce & Gabbana.